Monday, March 2, 2009

Ben's Birthday Weekend

On February 27th Ben turned 6 years old. He had been perusing the Lego catalogue all week and had announced that he wanted every Lego in the book. He didn't just desire them, he decided he was going to get them. My reply, "Are you kidding me?" No, he is dead serious. Tough luck. We don't need all those Lego's. They are already finding their way into odd places around the house. They seem to have this ability to move from their respective living quarters to my underwear drawer, the kitchen cabinets, the laundry room, the bathtub. Needless to say, Ben got about 5 more Lego sets - one of them from yours truly and the DH.

But, the party was great fun. There were about 10 children and 3 male adult children and 1 mommy - me. I ran around barking orders and coralling children from one game to the next. Ben got the usual "I am highly overstimulated" freakiness going on. It was kind of funny. He starts to wiggle his arms wildly and jumps up and down while frantically trying to make sure that no one else is going to play with any of his toys. Overall, though, the kids were really good and we had a great time. Billy, on his way out the door said to his mom - "That was the best birthday party I have ever been to - even better than my party!" Now - his mom is a birthday party fanatic - she spent about 2 months preparing for Billy's party. I was there and there was no way my party was better than hers. Billy's mom looked at him and said, "We'll have to talk later!"

Sidebar - don't get plastic swords for party favors. I did and I can't tell you the number of times I had to remind the children that bodily contact and swinging swords wildly is not appropriate. But honestly - what else are they going to do with the swords? I asked for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment