Monday, November 12, 2012

Halloween Party 2012

 

Well, I did it – or rather we did it.  Mike and some gracious helpers (thank you Liz and Grady) were along for the crazy 2 hours. 

It all started the week of – getting all the decorations prepped and figuring out the menu.  On the day of (Friday, October 26th) my brother Joel was visiting and he got suckered into helping me get everything ready.  Luckily, he is a good man and willingly accepted whatever challenge I gave him. He taped balloon spiders to the wall, made a disgusting witch’s cauldron full of primordial ooze and skeleton bones, and helped me with the kiddies as well.  I was sad when he left before the party began.

This is the Primordial Ooze.  Pretty Cool, Eh?018

We started off the festivities with dinner – hot dogs, seven layer dip, veggie tray, chips and dip and plenty of desserts.  I love Pinterest and got lots of help from there.  Then we played a game of “Pass the Pumpkin Left and Right”.  I read a spooky story that had a LOT of the words “left” and “right” and whenever I said those words the kids had to pass it in the right direction.  For future reference I need to teach Gabe his left and right. 

Here are some pics of the dinner/eating.

DSC_0043

DSC_0042

Next, we headed outside (where it was cold after a week of 80 degree weather).  At least it wasn’t raining.  We opted for traditional games – apple bobbing and donut on a string.  It was hysterical to watch the kids try to eat the donut while it was swinging around on the string.  Here are a couple of my favorites.

DSC_0066

DSC_0047

DSC_0060

DSC_0073

After freezing our costumed butts off we went inside to have an eyeball treasure hunt.  We ended with some ghost stories and more goodies.  All in all it was a crazy, fun time.  I say crazy because I believe there were about 20 children there and most of them were wild boys – the wildest of them all was Ben, of course.  He seems to thrive on chaos. 

I had a great time doing all of this, although there were many points where I questioned my sanity – why am I throwing a party for kids that doesn’t involve the word birthday in it?  As a matter of fact, most every parent who responded to the invitation asked whose birthday it was.  I think they were a little shocked when I said, “Nope, it’s just a Halloween Party.” 

My philosophy is – the kids are only young once and next year I probably won’t feel like throwing a Halloween Party… or maybe the year after either.  Maybe when they are teenagers.

Oh – and I just want to post this awesome picture of Mike and Sam (otherwise known as Steve and Blue).  They looked so cute!!!!

DSC_0082

Ben and friends ready to take on the neighborhood on Halloween Night.

DSC_0084

Gabe and his buddy Luke on Halloween Night.

DSC_0086

No comments:

Post a Comment