Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Ben's a genius, Dad's a sucker

The other night I made something for dinner that I knew would not be Ben's favorite, but he is still required to eat 15 bites. Little did I know the lengths that Ben would go to - he is extremely determined.

The meal started off with the usual whines and asking 20 times just how many bites he would have to take. Ben tried to negotiate the terms, but we (the parents - immune to manipulation - yea right) stood firm.

Ben took about 5 bites and then tried to delay finishing. It was Family Home Evening night and we planned on playing games. We informed Ben that if he did not finish his 15 bites he could not join our games. Then Ben stated that his stomach was hurting - which is a little bit confusing because he does have allergies and we have fallen for this before. My response to his complaint was, "Well, if you have a stomach ache and feel sick then you should go lie down in your bed for the rest of the night - ok?" Ben responded with a shrill scream, "But I don't want to go to bed!!!" Yet he still tried the stomach ache. He was clearly at odd with his desires.

Ben threw in the genius acting skills. Mike and I started to play Skip-Bo (which Ben loves) and Ben started to full on cry and grab at his right side - his non stomach side. "Mom, my stomach hurts so bad!!". My response, "Ben your stomach is on the other side so you are still ok to eat your dinner." Then he said, "But I hurt my side this morning when I was playing in the kitchen - I bumped it and it REALLY hurts." Then he fell on the floor in a display of complete agony. Mike fell for this act hook, line, and sinker. Mike looked at me and said, "I think he is really hurting." I scoffed at this. Mike went in the kitchen to comfort Ben and actually help him to finish his dinner.

After dinner, Ben seemed awful chipper. He turned on his fighting music and started to run around and play. He said (showing surprise), "Mom, my side stopped hurting before the last two bites!". Well Hallelujah!!! It's a miracle. Needless to say, Mike was suckered in and Ben is an acting genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment