Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Ben has courage

For FHE last week we discussed the value of the month - Courage.  We discussed how having courage means doing the right thing even when it is difficult - like not being afraid to be a chicken sometimes. The boys seemed to catch on pretty well. 

On Monday we had a mild snowstorm, but it was slick enough outside that school was let out early. Ben eagerly headed over to his friend's house to bring him back to play at our house. He was gone for about 30 minutes and when he came home he was without Justin. I asked him where Justin was and Ben said that he wasn't home, couldn't come over and he just sat on the porch waiting for him. I thought it was a little weird but I just shrugged my shoulders and said OK.

Shortly after our conversation Ben said, "Well I wasn't really waiting for Justin.  He was home and we were playing Lego's together.  I was backing up and I tripped on one of his Lego sets and I accidentally broke it. Justin got really mad and started yelling and telling me I broke his favorite Lego set."  We talked about how friends fight sometimes, but still remain friends.  We also discussed his frustration at being accused of doing something intentionally when it was accidental.  Those feelings are kind of painful. 

A little while later Ben called Justin and apologized for wrecking his Lego set and invited Justin over to play.

I was really proud of him.  I got choked up at the courage it took to call his friend and apologize. I told him how proud I was of him and gave him a hug. He said, "I just didn't want Justin to be mad at me and I wanted to play with him."  Simple and pure.  He is such a great kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment